Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has clarified his earlier remarks urging Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, to obtain security clearance before visiting the state, saying the call was purely based on safety concerns and not intended as a threat.
Okpebholo, who spoke during the weekend at Uromi in Esan North East Local Government Area, drew public backlash after suggesting Obi should seek clearance to avoid unrest as allegedly seen during a past visit. The backlash prompted an official clarification from the governor on Sunday.
In a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Fred Itua, Governor Okpebholo expressed disappointment that his comment had been misinterpreted and politicized. “It is imperative to state clearly that the Governor did not issue any form of threat to Mr. Obi,” Itua said, emphasizing the concern stemmed from the volatile security landscape in the state.
The statement cited recent security challenges, including attacks on religious leaders, particularly Catholic priests and Christian clerics, as the context for the governor’s caution. “As the Chief Security Officer of Edo State, it is the Governor’s constitutional responsibility to safeguard lives and property,” Itua added.
Okpebholo also advised that charitable acts, including public donations to religious or medical institutions, be conducted discreetly and in coordination with security agencies to prevent unintended security risks. “The Holy Scripture reminds us that giving is best done in private,” he said, quoting Matthew 6:2–4.
In a swipe at critics, the governor referenced past events where Peter Obi, as former Anambra governor, allegedly detained Nasir El-Rufai during a political visit. “Governor Okpebholo is not Peter Obi,” the statement read, urging political figures to follow local protocols during visits.
He accused political opponents of exploiting his remarks for political gain, warning that “the State Government will not fold its arms and allow politically motivated activities to endanger lives.” The governor reiterated that his administration is focused on restoring order and protecting citizens.
The statement concluded by affirming the governor’s commitment to ensuring Edo remains a secure and welcoming environment. “The government welcomes all Nigerians, provided due security protocols are observed,” it said.


Leave a comment